WA logo
Call Toll-Free

Hiring a Caregiver

How do I hire a Caregiver?

Paid Caregivers are one option. First, determine what type of help you are looking for:

  • Do you need someone to help with household chores, personal care and/or health care?
  • Look for a professional who can meet those needs.
  • Seek referrals from family and friends and perhaps from members of your faith-based organization.
  • Interview job candidates; be sure to include your loved one in the interview process.
  • Ask for multiple references. Contact references, and ask what their experiences have been with the home care worker.
  • Consider if the individual is a good match in terms of personalities, communication styles, likes and dislikes.

Individual caregivers do not have someone that can substitute for them if they are sick or unable to come to work. Some people hire a second worker, either as back-up or to share the hours needed so they are not left without care if a worker becomes sick or has to take a day off for other reasons. Hiring a caregiver through an Agency is also an option.

Learn more about hiring a caregiver through a Home Care Agency

Tip Sheet: Qualities to Look for When Hiring Home Care Workers

You must schedule and supervise any worker you hire on your own, unless you have a trusted family member or friend that can assist. When paying privately, you may also need to pay employer taxes. A certified public accountant and the Internal Revenue Service can advise you about any tax obligations, documentation requirements, and any other financial considerations.

Individuals sometimes want a family member or friend to be their paid caregiver. You can review the guide, Hiring Family or Friends as Your Caregiver.

AARP has an entire section on providing care at home – including an article Help Wanted: Tips for Hiring a Home-Care Worker.

If you receive Medicaid services through Washington State DSHS, you may be eligible to hire a caregiver whose wage will be paid for by the state (also known as Individual Providers or Home Care Worker).

Individual Providers must pass a Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) background check and receive a provider identification number from DSHS before they can begin providing services to you. They must also complete required training and demonstrate that they have the skills to provide the services that you need.

Adults receiving Medicaid and eligible to hire an aide (Individual Provider) can use the Home Care Referral Registry to get a list of prescreened Individual Providers in your area. Visit the Referral Registry on-line or call 1-800-970-5456 for more information.

Connect with Your Local CLC.

Washington’s Community Living Connections staff are available to help you explore your options to meet your current needs or create a plan for the future.

Connect now

Home Care Services Checklist

Use this checklist to learn about and compare caregivers.


Long-term services
In your home
Support for Family Caregivers
In your community
In other Settings
Alzheimer’s and Dementia
More options
Search by keyword
Search by need
Assess your needs
Quick Links
About Community Living Connections (CLC)
CLC Resource Directory Information
Why plan
First steps
Funding your care
Legal Assistance
Independent housing
Healthy living
Call Toll-Free 855-567-0252
by RTZ Systems