Why plan now?
Secure your future by starting your plan today.
Planning now for your future needs will put you in touch with support, services and care options. Letting your family and friends know what you want now, will help them to carry out your wishes.
Planning ahead lets you financially prepare for services in your home or in other settings.
Major reasons why planning today makes sense
Everyone's situation is different. But people have similar reasons to plan. For example:
- Financial security. The high cost of long-term services and supports can quickly deplete your savings and strain your income. We all want to protect our own and our families’ standard of living. No one wants to be a burden to others.
- Leaving a legacy. You may want to pass on an inheritance. The legacy could be the family business, a home, money or other resources. The need for long-term services and supports could affect what you want to leave.
- Freedom of choice. Freedom is central to personal independence. Making life choices is easier if you know how you will fund them.
- Not depending on government funding.Some people feel they must care for themselves. They do not want any government help to pay for services.
- Peace of mind.Deciding these matters now helps you have peace of mind about the future. It also ensures your wishes are respected if you need long-term services and supports.
The Financing Long Term Care Resource Center
, sponsored by the University of Minnesota Extension Office, can help you:
- Improve your knowledge about the family financial issue of long term care.
- Help take action before a crisis strikes your family.
- Plan ahead to make more informed decisions.